We are excited to host the 2020 Massachusetts High School Golf Championship at Shaker Hills Country Club on November 1st. In preparation for the event, we felt it would be important to explain how the event will be operated given the unique nature of 2020. Below you will find the Operational Guidelines along with on-site operations.
2020 Massachusetts High School Golf Championship Event Plan
We are working with Mass Golf, the New England PGA and Shaker Hills to determine the best procedures to follow all required guidelines. The Mass Golf Reopening guidelines outline the operational practices, protocols, and recommendations for tournament play in the state.
Operational Guidelines with Covid-19 Considerations
- NHSGA Staff and volunteers (reduced from normal quantity) will be wearing mandated Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and will practice social distancing
- PPE will be available to all participants (hand sanitizer and wipes). It is encouraged that players bring additional PPE including masks
- Social distancing (6 ft) will be a priority on-site. Gatherings will not be permitted at any time. Social Distance signage from Back2Golf will be prominently displayed
- Players are asked to use masks/coverings when they are unable to socially distance especially when they are using the practice facilities
- Registration will be conducted on a rolling basis with no gatherings. Markings on the ground will help socially distance anyone who is waiting to complete their registration
- Temperature screenings will be taken prior to the competition round. Players must record a 100.4 degree temperature or lower to be able to compete that day.
- The event will be paperless with the exception of scorecards. Each player will receive a scorecard of another player in the group and scores will be verbally attested adhering to USGA guidelines. Verbal score verification will take place outside with players standing 6 feet apart from one another in designated standing areas. All rules sheets and other tournament documents will be sent to players electronically prior to tee off. Players are expected to print off any documents personally.
- Players will be receiving a complimentary grab and go meal after the round. Food and beverage for purchase is available parents and spectators.
- Bunkers will be played without rakes. Players may lift and clean the ball, smooth the sand, and place the ball within one scorecard no closer to the hole without penalty
- Flagsticks must be left in the hole at all times. Players will receive a warning and could face disqualification if they continue to touch the flagstick
- Measures have been taken by the committee to ensure that the object in the hole will indeed allow the ball to come to rest completely below the surface of the ground and will have as little chance of affecting play. Ball must remain in the hole to be holed
- Scoring will be conducted socially distanced with no physical scoreboard
- The clubhouse is only open for competitors and spectators needing to purchase items in the pro shop, order food, or use the restrooms. Limited seating is available in the indoor dining room only for people that order food
- Spectators must adhere to all social distancing guidelines
- Spectators must wear masks inside or around the clubhouse. Spectators may remove masks on the golf course when socially distanced from others
- Spectators should not arrive at the course until 15 minutes prior to their player’s tee time and shall go directly to the tee where the player is starting.
- Spectators must not congregate before or after their player’s round
- Spectators are NOT permitted in any practice areas
The NHSGA will not tolerate players or spectators who do not adhere to guidelines put in place. We reserve the right to penalize and/or disqualify players who knowingly, willingly and or repeatedly disregard our policies to promote social distance. Players are also responsible for the actions of their family members or spectators.
The NHSGA staff asks that you take the following precautions:
- Please avoid handshakes or physical contact of any kind
- Wash hands and use sanitizer frequently
- Stay outside as much as possible
- Refrain from touching your face, eyes, nose, lips or mouth
- Please monitor CDC guidelines for best practices
- Please do your best to act in a healthy and responsible manner
- If you feel sick please stay home and report any illness to our staff on-site immediately
- In the past 14 days if you tested positive for COVID-19 or have been in close contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19 contact the NHSGA staff at email@example.com or 617-396-7021
- If you “test positive” for the COVID-19 virus at any point within 14 days of being at the golf course please contact the NHSGA staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-396-7021
Shaker Hills Country Club Guidelines
Check-in and Pre-Round
- Players are asked to arrive no earlier than 45 minutes prior to their tee time
- Upon arrival, players must proceed directly to the green NHSGA table for a temperature screening and registration.
- The NHSGA Staff will hand each player in the group another player’s scorecard. Scorecards should not be exchanged. Each player should also record their unofficial score on the card to reference post-round
- Players are encouraged to use masks on the practice range and putting green when they cannot socially distance. Players must wear masks inside and around the clubhouse. Players will be limited to 5-10 minutes on the range to encourage distancing. Players may not use the range more than 45 minutes prior to their tee time
- Players are asked to be at their starting hole 15 minutes prior to their tee time
During the Round
- Rules sheets and pace of play policy will be provided electronically
- Players are encouraged to bring their own snacks and water for the course
- Personal push carts are permitted (no rental push carts available)
After the Round
- After scoring is complete, no gatherings will be allowed in clubhouse or any other common areas
- Scoring will be done near the clubhouse. There will be a table set up for scoring staff. There will not be any chairs and players will review scores socially distanced
- Players will verbally confirm scores with their marker and then visually inspect the hole-by-hole score to confirm accuracy. Once scores are confirmed, there will be a bin to deposit the scorecard
- Results will be posted online only and there will be no physical scoreboards
- Once scoring is complete, players may grab their meal and will be encouraged to leave the course
- After the final round awards will be provided in a socially distanced manner for the top players along with the top teams
Severe Weather and Evacuation Plan
- In the event play must be stopped for a short delay, players will be notified to follow the provided evacuation plan/map to the designated shelter area. In the event of a longer suspension of play, players will be asked to proceed back to the their cars
- Emails will be sent out when it is safe to return to the golf course
- Due to social distancing guidelines and likely time constraints, practice may not be allowed before the resumption of play
Competitor Travel Guidelines
- To protect yourself and others during your trip, you should clean your hands often. Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub your hands together until they feel dry
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Avoid close contact with others (Keep at least 6 feet of physical distance from others).
- Avoiding close contact is especially important if you are at higher risk of contracting COVID-19
- Wear a cloth face covering in public
- Cover coughs and sneezes
- Pick up food at drive-throughs, curbside restaurant service, or stores. Do not dine in restaurants if that is prohibited by state or local guidance
- Consider traveling with a protective face covering, alcohol-based sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, tissues and a personal thermometer